Banana Bread Cake That You Will Love!
Who likes banana bread!? Me! ✋🏼 I don’t just like it, I love it! I grew up eating it a lot and it’s always been one of my favourites. My favourite ways to eat banana bread is with either almond butter or peanut butter on top. Yum!
Now that I’m vegan, I’ve had to figure out a way to make vegan banana bread and it’s surprisingly easy! Who needs eggs, anyways?
Why don’t I eat eggs, you might ask? There are several reasons:
- While chickens are in the “clean meats” category, they have been shown to be have the most bacteria out of all the other “clean meats”. (For those of you who don’t know what meats are considered “clean” and “unclean”, you can find a list by doing a google search. Some unclean meats are: Pork, shrimp, whale, swordfish, hare, snails, ostrich, etc. Some clean meats are: Chicken, turkey, reindeer, sheep, cod, salmon, trout, halibut, etc.)
- Eggs are known to contain a LOT of bacteria, which is why you have always heard your grandma say, “Don’t lick the spatula from the cake batter, there’s raw eggs in it!”. Studies have shown that even though the eggs are cooked, they still contain high levels of bacteria.
- All this bacteria is not good for the bodies filtering system. The liver and lymphatic system have to deal with this. Many people in today’s world are already struggling with toxicity overload, so adding more bacteria to the mix isn’t very helpful.
- Hormones. Eggs are high in oestrogen, which makes sense! There is everything in that little egg to produce a chicken. Oestrogen is a hormone that helps the body grow, and having a concentration of this hormone isn’t good for us. This contributes to hormonal imbalances in men and women alike. Especially in women who already struggle with estrogen dominance.
- Ethical reasons. Chickens are treated worse than a criminal in todays world. They are kept in little cages and pumped full of steroids and hormones to make them grow much faster than they should. If they are hens, they are taken to another place and kept in a small cage and again given hormones to make them produce MANY eggs! So many eggs that their uteruses get permanently damaged, making the hens unable to even walk. When they can’t produce eggs anymore, they are inhumanly butchered. What about free rage chickens? They aren’t any better. They aren’t stuck in a little cage, but they are crammed in a barn so tight that they barely have space to walk. These chickens never get out of that barn to see the light of day and are treated just as horrible as the caged chickens. Because of this, I CANNOT support it!
So, What Do I Use Instead of Eggs?
I use either Chia Eggs or Flax Eggs. It’s very simple and works very well! (The recipe is below) Grind the chia seeds or flaxseeds in a coffee grinder. Mix it with water and let it sit for a couple minutes. It thickens into a gelatinous egg-like substance that works very well!
Since I like cakes as well as banana bread, why not join the 2 and make a Vegan Banana Cake!? I’ll show you how to make it!
Vegan Banana Cake Recipe!
How To Make This Vegan Banana Cake!
First: Mash up the banana, put it in a mixing bowl and add the coconut sugar, coconut milk and coconut oil.
Next: Add the rest of the ingredients! When you are going to make the chia egg, mix the water and chia seeds together and let them sit for just a few minutes before adding to the mixing bowl.
Preheat the oven on 180*C/350*F.
Line the bottom of the cake pan with parchment paper and then pour the batter into the pan. Cover it with foil and stick it in the oven for 30 minutes!
After the 30 minutes is up, take the foil off and turn the oven up to 190*C/370*F and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Take it out and stick a toothpick down into the middle. It will be a little moist because of the bananas but it shouldn’t be gooey. If it is, stick it back in for just a few minutes.
When it is finished, remove the vegan banana cake from the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Let it cool down COMPLETELY before adding the frosting (or else the frosting will melt off, no fun! 😋).
To make the frosting:
Put a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. Be sure to choose a can that you can tell has coconut meat in it, not just milk. The kind where the meat and water separates is the best!
The next day, pull the frosting out of the refrigerator and pour off the liquid. Put the “meat” part in a mixing bowl and whip up. Add 3 Tablespoons of mashed banana and whip a little more.
Spread this over the top of the vegan banana cake and you’re ready to eat it!
This cake is, since it’s banana bread like, is not super sweet! If you happen to like it sweeter, you can add more coconut sugar.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Feel free to share it and also leave a comment below. 😋